I’m so bad about doing these kinds of posts (I’m sorry to anyone who’s ever nominated me for something like this and I didn’t do it), but I really like the idea of this one. Thank you for tagging me, Cruelty Free Me! The premise is that all of your makeup,cosmetics/skincare are gone and you have to start over with 16 items. It sounded like a big number at first, but once I started thinking about skincare and tools, I was very quickly running out of space in my theoretical make-up bag.
The last few years, I’ve tried to be much more discerning about how much clothing, makeup, etc. I buy. That doesn’t mean I’m an angel with total self control, but I’m better than I used to be! And I’ve thrown out or donated a ton of stuff in the quest to have only pieces and cosmetics that I consistently use.
That’s why this post idea was so appealing, because it made me think even more about which of my products I consider my all-time dream team.
- Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45+ // Even though foundations might give fuller coverage, I like the multi-tasking nature and skin care benefits of this BB Cream. It leaves my skin moisturized and dewy, can be built up depending on the need and it has SPF. It matches my skin tone very well and gives me a finished look without being cakey.
- NARS Copacabana Illuminator // All-time favorite illuminator. The pink, pearly color goes great with fair skin and can be used either to highlight or mixed into my base for an overall illuminating effect. Since my face is dry, the liquid medium melts into my skin without accentuating dry patches.
- NARS Blush in Orgasm // Number one blush. It gives me a great, natural looking flush that I can leave subtle or go a little heavier on (although I don’t because I want to look like a baby vampire). The fact that it’s peachy AND gold is the best because I loooove gold. Gold forever.
- Essie Nail Polish in Merino Cool // It’s no secret that I love grurples and greiges, and this is probably my favorite. It was a close tie between this one and Master Plan. I like that it’s a little darker while still coming off neutral. Nice and versatile.
- Real Techniques Core Collection Brushes // I hope this one isn’t cheating since it’s technically four brushes, but they all came together as a collection! I wish it had an eye brush, but I usually apply eyeshadow with my fingers anyway. Since I really want my base to look finished, the foundation brush, concealer brush, blush brush and buffer brush definitely make the cut. The quality is great and they can be used for so many different product applications.
- Sonia Kashuk Crease Brush // The only eye brush I’ll ever love. I got it at Target and it’s the best crease brush ever. Since I usually just put some color on my lid and a nude color to my browbone, blending out that crease is important. I don’t want a weird, blocky eyelid. The bristles are soft and doesn’t pull on my lid when I do the back and forth blending stroke.
- Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner // I don’t go for dramatic or elaborate eyeshadow. When it comes to eyes, the cat eye is my go to, and for that I need a fine-point, long-lasting liner. I have a pretty steady hand since I do cat eyeliner a lot, but the extra fine point makes it so much easier to get the thickness and control I want. Love love love.
- MAC Culturalized Eyeshadow Duo (Brule & Retrospeck) // Gold is my favorite color next to black. This duo has great texture and little fallout, not to mention that the two shades compliment each other very well. I just slap on the gold (Retrospeck) on my lid and blend out with the light beige (Brule). Retrospeck isn’t a brassy gold which is a plus. I use it for a highlight on the center of my bottom lip sometimes because I love it so much.
- Tarte’s Lights, Camera, Flashes Statement Mascara // What can I say? It gets my lashes long, thick and few to no clumps. It’s super black and the brush is great at getting right into the root some I get awesome coverage all the way through. Two coats of this and my eyelashes are brushing my eyebrows. For everyday I just wear one coat because it gets dramatic pretty quick.
- L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Waterproof Mascara // If I’m going swimming or I’m gonna be crying, this is my jam. My eyelashes look thick and amazing and they don’t don’t budge!
- bareMinerals READY Touch Up Veil Broad Spectrum SPF 15 in Translucent // For the most part, my skin is very dry, but my t-zone can get a little oily at the end of the day. This finishing powder is the best for touching-up, mattifying lipstick AND setting makeup. It doesn’t leave my skin powdery or strange looking.
- Cetaphil Moisturizer // No fancy moisturizer has been able to usurp my love of Cetaphil. When I first went to the dermatologist, this is what they recommended for my dry, flaking, red, sensitive skin. It was a mess. But after a week or so of gentle cleansing and this moisturizer, my skin is so manageable. It has no scent and is pretty thick. I usually buy the store brand tub of Cetaphil and then pipe it into a squeeze bottle so that I’m not dipping my grubby little hands into the moisturizer every day. Cuts down on germs and breakouts!
- Yes to Cucumbers Gentle Milk Cleanser // I only wash my face at night because otherwise it dries out my skin to the point of irritation. Since my skin is so reactive and annoying, having a gentle cleanser that won’t strip my skin of oils is very important to me. Cetaphil makes a good one, but Yes to Cucumbers’s leaves my skin feeling less tight and uncomfortable. I buy it again and again.
- Nip + Fab Glycolic Peel Pads // Exfoliating with grainy scrubs tears my skin up, so when it’s time to get radiant, flake-free skin, I go the chemical exfoliation route. These pre-soaked glycolic acid pads are the easiest way to keep my complexion from getting dull and rough-looking. They also have hyaluronic acid which help moisturize as well!
- Nars Lipstick in Tolede // Man oh man the lipstick was hard. I would have a horrible time living with only one or two lipsticks. The first one I picked was Nars’s Tolede because it’s a beautiful rose color and I can wear it with anything. It’s very classic and just so nice. I wear it a lot and I never feel overdone.
- Revlon Lipstick in Really, Really Red // If I can only have a few things, I could never forget a red lipstick. Really, Really Red is really, really lovely and I always feel amazing when I wear it. Its matte finish makes it longer lasting, and I just happen to think that matte is a very sophisticated finish.
Whoof. As I was writing those I realized how hard it would be. I didn’t choose any brow products, concealer, perfume, face masks… so many things I love but couldn’t quite fit! Oh well.