1. Atelier Cologne Mistral Patchouli // Now let me begin by saying that I usually hate patchouli, but I love pepper notes, so that won me over. I was surprised by how much I ended up liking it. It’s a little strong, but a dab behind each ear isn’t so much that I can’t wear it for a more casual day. It also has grapefruit notes, so it’s a good mix of earthy and a touch of not-to-sweet fruit. The postcard was a nice touch. I’m going to tack it up above my desk because the colors are lovely.
2. Birchbox Bobby Pins // These are tough! They really do hold onto the hair great. All my other bobby pins are hair colored and I use them for buns with the intention of hiding them, but these are cute so I don’t mind having them on full display. They actually hold my wily, piecey bangs in place when I want to keep them off my forehead. I wish they had them in colors closer to what I wear everyday (read: black, white or gray), but I have a soft spot for blue sometimes (like now apparently).
3. DDF Acne Control Treatment // I haven’t really used this much since I don’t break out that often. I did put it on a small blemish on my chin and it was less red in the morning, but I don’t feel like I’ve had a chance to see what it’s capable of. I do get some lovely shoulder/back acne in the dead of summer, so hopefully this will help keep that in check once my body succumbs to August’s humidity and sebum over-production.
4. Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk // The formula of this is great, but I think what I liked about it most was that it was a sample size right when I needed a dry shampoo for the road. This didn’t leave a white cast on my hair, which was extra important given my super dark color now. It had no unpleasant odor and is awesome at pumping up my bangs when they start to get limp. I’d be really eager to buy it if I saw it in stores around me. I feel weird sometimes buying certain things online. I’ll almost always choose the convenience of a physical store for items that I go through quickly. I have to use dry shampoo pretty much every day in my bangs so I blow through it.
5. theBalm cosmetics InStain Long-Wearing Powder Staining Blush in Swiss Dot // The color on this is great for summer, and the idea of a powder stain is really interesting to me, but a little goes a long way. If you have trouble with gels or cream blushes, I’d recommend it, but be prepared to apply in moderation and make sure your blending is up to snuff. I haven’t worn it to a pool or anything yet, but I straight up splashed water on my face with the blush on and it faded a little, but I needed make-up remover to completely get rid of it.
Left: Straight application // Right: Diffused/Blended
And it would be a crime to not show off the top my mom sent me in a care package. My love of rabbits is only too obvious from my wardrobe. I also had the honor of receiving a crop top tee with a giant cat face on it. I may be an adult now (weird), but a care package from my mom after a tough week at work makes me feel like a little kid again. Even though my upcoming travels will take a toll on my gas money, I’m really glad that I’ll be seeing a lot of my mom and the rest of my family over the next two months. No matter how long I’ve been moved out or how often I get to see them, I can’t help but get homesick.
Anyways, I hope everyone else who got a Birchbox in July was happy with theirs! The blush and the dry shampoo have gotten a lot of use but I was a fan of the whole thing. I’ll try to get the next one out a little sooner in the month. We’ll see how that goes!