I got my birchbox for this month! Sometimes I wish they wouldn’t give you sneak peaks of what you could get because they had a couple of goodies that I was keeping my fingers crossed for (I’m looking at you, Violent Lip tattoos and new Zoya nail polish line).
This was the month of near misses. Everything had great potential, but only a few are things I would consider repeat buying.
1. BLK DNM Perfume 11 // I want to like it! It’s trying to be spunky and peppery, but I just don’t love it. It’ll go in my make-up bag for olfactory touch-ups during the day, but I won’t be picking up a full size. It’s so close though! I’m not opposed to more masculine perfumes, but this one is too similar to Marc Jacob’s Bang for me (another scent I wanted to love because I adored the bottle).
2. Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint in Pearl // Remember when I said I’ve never been able to find a tinted moisturizer that I liked? This would have been so perfect if it wasn’t so yellow!
It feels good. It gives even coverage and has a light, luminizing shimmer that isn’t reminiscent of middle school body glitter. Unfortunately for me, this is the lightest shade, and as you can see, it’s a no go for my skin tone. This bummed me out so hard because the formula is great otherwise.
3. Supersmile Powdered Mouthrinse // Some Supersmile toothpaste came in the Birchbox Man set that I got Mark for Christmas, and I love using that, so I hoped their powdered mouthwash would be a slam dunk that I could keep in my make-up bag at work. No dice. The design is very convenient, but the powder doesn’t dissolve very well and has an awful, sweet fluoride taste. What a boner.
4. Eye Rock Designer Liner // Not something I would wear everyday, but it was surprisingly fun. Some of the leftover ones are a little too wild for me, but I figure I can trim them down to a more classic cat eye.
I got a lot of compliments when I wore them to get my hair cut, and no one knew they were stick-ons. The cons are that they started to lose their sticky on the inner corner of my eye pretty early on and that they are kind of hard to apply. The application process might be what made parts lose their adhesive, because I had to adjust them a few times. Overall though, it was fun and I’m looking forward to using them again for some special occasion.
5. Benta Berry G-1 Moisturizing Face Cream // Another face product with these mysterious mattifying properties. It doesn’t work as a day cream for me because it makes my beloved Primed & Poreless Primer pill (sorry, that’s a mouthful). Still nice to put on as a after-work-but-before-bed moisturizer.
6. Birchbox Digital Download of Green River Ordinance // I listened to a few songs and they just aren’t my cup of tea. They’re from Texas so I’m glad they’re apparently about to hit the big time, but I couldn’t get into them.
So there’s February for ya. Not the best but still a good try for Birchbox.